Nine children and 10 adults are dead after a five-alarm fire in a residential high-rise building in the Bronx on Sunday, New York officials said Sunday. The fire appears to have been started by a portable space heater, New York City Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. He added that the door to the apartment was left open, allowing smoke to spread. Thirty-two people were transported to area hospitals with life-threatening injuries, the majority of which were due to smoke inhalation, New York City Mayor Eric Adams said at a press conference Sunday afternoon. It's unclear if that number included some of the dead. In total, 63 people were injured, Adams said. "This is a painful moment for the city of New York and the impact of this fire is going to really bring a level of just pain and despair in our city," Adams said. "The numbers are horrific." Adams said at another press conference later Sunday that many of the victims appeared to be immigrants from Gambia. He stressed that no one would be asked about immigration stat . . . read the full article here.
Keywords: city, 19, adams, bronx, received, horrific, residential, dead, including, victims, smoke, york, fdny, children, started
FAC: East 181 Street
DATE: today, Sunday, later Sunday, January 9, 2022
TIME: 11 a.m., afternoon
ORDINAL: third, second
CARDINAL: 5, 10, 19, 31, 63, 333, Nine, five, Thirty-two, More than 200, Approximately 200