LONDON — British police said Monday that they would take no action after reviewing a document related to a U.S. civil sexual assault lawsuit filed against Queen Elizabeth II's son, Prince Andrew. Virginia Giuffre, who has accused Andrew of sexually abusing her when she was a teenager, filed the suit in August in New York’s Southern District. The suit alleges that convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, who died by suicide in 2019 after he was arrested on federal sex trafficking charges, and his longtime associate, Ghislaine Maxwell, compelled her to engage in sexual acts with Andrew 20 years ago. She sued Andrew under New York State’s Child Victim’s Act, alleging he committed “rape in the first degree.” Andrew, the Duke of York, has always vehemently denied the allegations. In a 2019 interview with the BBC, he said he has “no recollection” of ever meeting Giuffre. He also suggested that a photograph of them together with Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell could have been doctored. The suit alleges that Andrew abused her at three locations — in London and New York and at Epstein’s private island in the U.S. Virgin Islands, when she was under the age of 18. It mirrors claims that Giuffre, now 38, previously detailed to NBC’s “Dateline.” The Metropolitan Police based in London said in the statement that it “continues to liaise with other law enforcement agencies who lead the investigation into matters related to Jeffrey Epstein.” In June 2020, federal prosecutors in New York formally requested through the British government to speak with Prince Andrew. Lillian Suwanrumpha / AFP - Getty Images However, its investigati . . . read the full article here.
Keywords: drop, prince, epstein, maxwell, previously, assault, related, lawsuit, york, british, suit, sexual, action, andrew, federal, investigation
LOC: Southern District
DATE: 38, 1999, 2019, June, August, Monday, June 2020, this year, 20 years ago
ORDINAL: Ninth, first
CARDINAL: three, at least three